Sunday, June 22, 2014

Nothing Changes

I am going to stay with this tournament on a weekly basis to see if I can get myself to the winners circle.  This is the only tournament I am playing right now.  The tournament is on Friday and has 20 minute rounds with 10,000 chips to start and is $40 for the buy in.  The tournament has about 30 players that turn out for the game. 
 
This week I ended up in 17th place and I was proud of being able to stay in the tournament that long.  We were in the 25/50 blinds and I was in the BB with K8.  The players just called the big blind and I checked the option.  This hand is not what I would usually look for but they gave me a free flop.  The flop comes 8x8.  I looked at that and figured great I can go ahead and bet this flop and try to take down the pot.  I got one caller.  The turn did not help me and I figured I was still good with the trips.  I bet and was called by one person.  I figured he might have the other 8 and would bet and he called.  The river was a 9 and I checked to the other person to see what he would do.  He bet and I called and he turned over 99 for the full house and my trips were no good.  What a river card.  I ended up losing almost half my stack with that and now I am going to have to play defensive.
 
It seems that the players in this tournament like to see the river for the showdown with very little.  It opens up losing on the river and I seen that a number of times during this tournament.  People not having anything but big cards and staying in to catch something on the river.  I ended up throwing my JJ's away this week when someone bet big on an over card on the flop.  With that one I bet 4 to 5x pre-flop and still get callers. I guess I should be thankful they call because the percentages are with me in the long run.  Doesn't help me now but someday it will pay off.
 
I managed to stay at 5,000 chips throughout the tournament and never was able to get the stack to go higher than that.  I got through the 25/50, 50/100, 100/200, 200,400 and was taken out in the 300/600 round.  My all in was with AJ and the BB showed QQ and that was it for me when an A did not come on the board.  Overall I was pretty pleased and will wait till next week to try again.
 
Have a fun day.....
 


No comments: