Saturday, April 12, 2014

April starts a new Day

After spending the last year and a half in school studying Computer Science I am now done.  The books have all been read and the tests are all done.  Now it is time to continue on with something new or something old.
 
I am working with Work Source to see if I can find a job and will be attending classes on interviewing, resume writing and all of that stuff.  I have an appointment this next week to do a practice interview with the person who is working with me and her name is LO.  She has been very nice in getting me this far and now we will see what happens these next few weeks.
 
The first of the year I decided to try something on my own and started selling on E-bay.  I have been reading about a traveler that sells bike parts on (Our Newell Adventure).  I decided to give it a try myself since I am a baseball and football sports card fan.  So, I purchased the new boxes and pulled out the new cards and have been selling them on E-bay.  My first month in March turned out to be a big month for me at $246 and now mid way through April I am at $46.  I will keep working the sales and maybe that will be what I do here in retirement.  Of course I just couldn't rely on that alone.

Since I am done with school I am now able to play poker again.  I really enjoy the game and have always considered it an income source.  I try to play the game that way as well.  I missed playing the game through the year but now I am back and I am learning something new.  I was able to build my bankroll back up to $1,100, which is not great by any means, but I am hoping this will give me a start.  I read the blog Low Stakes Poker by a person named TBC.  He has been working a very low bankroll in and around Las Vegas.  I am hoping that I can increase my Bankroll by playing correctly and if he can do this so can I. 

My game has changed a little bit and I am trying not to play the tournaments, and stay with the cash games.  I started out playing in the $2 - $10 Limit game and I have now made the decision to switch over to Omaha Hi/Lo.  I am having fun again and I am on a very steep learning curve for the game.  When I tried Omaha a couple of years ago I played three times and ended up losing all of my buy ins in a very short time.  The other day I bought in with my $100 and in the hour and half I played I was up to $160 before I made a bad decision and ended up taking home my $100 I started with .  I did consider it a good learning experience.  The next trip to the table I sat down with my $100 and this time after two hours of play I walked away with an increase in my bankroll to $60.  I also had some early hits to the bankroll and am now at $445.  I will have to be very careful and increase this bankroll back to the original $1100.  I ended up spending money on a new Computer and Yard maintenance. That was success for me and I will continue to study and play this game.

Between playing Poker and selling on E-bay I hope to start something new and not have to worry about finding that job unless it can be something fun to do during the day.  I was a poker dealer for a year and had a blast doing that.  Would I do it again if I could find one, sure if it was in a nice small place that I would feel comfortable with all of the other employees.

We had to purchase another computer since the old one gave out and so I am trying to get this one up to speed with all the stuff we had on the other one.  It was nice having the external drive to put our files into.  Getting the Microsoft Office products again was a little bit of a hassle but we made it alright.

Have a good day. 

No comments: