Thursday, August 07, 2014

Home Games

I haven't played in a home game in some time.  I was asked if I wanted to play and I had to think about it for a bit.  When I play in a home game I tend to just play and not try to win.  It is more about the social aspect of getting together.  In this particular game it usually ends up being sixteen guys sitting around two tables drinking the whole time and playing very aggressive.  Since I don't drink then watching this aggressive play just isn't any fun.
 
I decided to go ahead and play.  My bankroll for poker has just about hit the bottom and I figured I might as well play and then try and decide what to do next.  I arrived at the home and found out there were only five guys that would be playing tonight.  My mind went into this mode of why do I want to do this.  The person putting on the game wanted to play two games at $10 per person.  I then thought that wasn't too bad, with five guys playing, since it would get done early and I would head home. 
 
The players started drinking and I had my water for the evening.  With five players, it meant I could open up my game a little bit and try to catch some cards and be loose aggressive.  I started winning some pots and when we made it to the third level I had a nice size chip count.  We were down to the final two and I started losing my chips playing heads up.  Since the other three players were watching, and not playing, I then suggested a chop of the pot.  It was agreed upon by the chip leader and I was able to get $20 and we moved to the next game.
 
We start the next game and I continued playing the same way.  The loose aggressive style was working and I just stayed with that.  I made it to the chip lead and kept my aggressive play going.  When it got down to three left in the tournament I suggested another chop where we would pay three players and it was agreed upon.  I made $30 on the second tournament and that felt good to finally cash a little bit since I was running low on the BR anyway.
 
It is amazing how one week can make a difference in your bankroll.  I had a good week two weeks ago and was up to $400 and then within the next week it was basically gone.  It does drive you nuts trying to play the BR up and then it goes nowhere.  I start thinking about the $2-$20 game I should not have sat in on, and then the $3-$6 Omaha game that was out of my reach as well.  I played those trying to increase the BR and instead I went the other way. 
 
Now it is all about the $50 and what will I do with it.  Can I go out and try this again to get it to grow so I can continue playing?  Tournament?  Live Cash?  Have to think about this.
 
Have a fun day.....

No comments: